We have had 2 major days for shopping, Black Friday and Cyber Monday. December 3, 2013 is a day for #giving.
The second annual Giving Tuesday is on December 3, 2013. In the same way that retail stores take part in the big shopping days, the giving community to come together for #GivingTuesday.
The General FAQ of #GivingTuesday states “New York’s 92nd Street Y was the catalyst and incubator for #GivingTuesday, bringing the expertise of 139 years of community-management to the project and providing #GivingTuesday a home. The United Nations Foundation joined as partners, bringing their strategic and communications clout to the project. An amazing team of influencers then offered their ideas, contacts and wisdom to help shape and improve the concept. A powerful list of corporations and non-profits agreed to be founding partners, helping spread the word and committing to their own #GivingTuesday initiatives. Since then, countless organizations, friends and leaders have all added their support and talents to make #GivingTuesday a reality.”
Businesses can create and commit to a project for/on #GivingTuesday and then help spread the word to their networks.
As Celeste Amato states in her post Giving Tuesday — how your business can take part, here’s a few ways businesses can get involved:
• Rally your employees: Encourage giving on Dec. 3 by matching employee donations, planning a day of service and motivating your team to announce their commitment over social media.
• Encourage engagement: Spread the word about #GivingTuesday among employees and customers in internal and external communications.
• Make community service activities count: Make grants to local nonprofits on Dec. 3rd. Involve employees in grantmaking in a special #GivingTuesday poll where employees vote on local grant recipients.
• Get social: Show your #GivingTuesday leadership on social media. Use pre-developed content to drive awareness of #BmoreGivesMore in your email newsletters, social media channels and website. Go to bmoregivesmore.com to download materials that make participating super easy.
• Delight your customers: Give discounts or special benefits to customers who pledge to donate on Dec. 3.
• Raise dollars: Find a cause your business is passionate about in Baltimore. Organize a campaign to raise money for your cause. Search for inspiring projects at givecorps.com.
• Get sponsor Benefits: Get visibility for your commitment to Baltimore. Share your company’s social mission. Get mentions in all #BMoreGivesMore press materials. Make employees proud. Become a sponsor today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If this #GivingTuesday passed before you could get these activities going, start thinking now about 2014. This is a great time of the year to be involved. To assist the International Museum of Cultures, please go to our Donation Page.